Goal of the project is to develop Haa as a model of community-based sustainable tourism (CBST) and to share the knowledge and skills of CBST development among relevant organizations in Bhutan. Village homestays, local guides, local souvenirs, tourist visitor center (Japanese Michi no Eki style) and CBST management body were developed in this project.
List of activities
- Develop and strengthen institutional mechanism and network to expand CBST in the country (National Steering Committee).
- Understand clear direction of Haa as a CBST destination (Baseline survey).
- Develop CBST products and services (Village homestays, Local guides, Local souvenirs, Tourist visitor center)
- Marketing and promotion (develop websites, brochures and advertisement)
- Establish CBST Management Mechanism (CBST Management Group)
- Develop a board walk on the wetland for tourists
- Replication of CBST for other Dzongkhags (CBST knowledge sharing workshop)
|Period||January 2015 – January 2018|
|Country||Kingdom of Bhutan|
|Donor||Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)|
|Counterpart||Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN)|
|Websites||Website (English), Facebook (English), |
Website (Japanese), Facebook (Japanese)
|Media coverages||Side by Side: Make people happy with tourism! –Bhutan|
(NHK World, 13 Sep 2017)
Haa halts new resorts to boost homestay business
(Kuensel Online, Dec 19, 2017)