VIKSAT Nehru Foundation for Development
Address: Thaltej Tekra, Ahmedabad-380054 Tel: 079-26856220 Fax: 079-26852360 URL: http://www.viksat.org Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Date of Establishment:1977
Number of Staff:39
Sections:Land and Water management, ForestryMembers:16
Name of Director:Mr. Dilip Surkar
- Advocacy / Agriculture / Community Development / Conservation / Ecology Biodiversity / Education / Forestry / Nature Awareness / Network / Research / Training / Waste Pollution / Water / Women Gender / Other (GIS, Rain Water Harvesting)
- Annual Budget:?2,580,000 INR (63,406 US Dollar) (Fiscal Yr. 2006)
- Main Resources
Introduction of the Organization
Vikram Sarabhai Centre for Development Interaction (VIKSAT), Ahmedabad, was established in 1977 under Nehru Foundation for Development by the renowned Scientist late Dr. Vikram Sarabhai. VIKSAT’s mandate is to take up developmental programs in Natural Resources Management. Since its inception, VIKSAT has been engaged in creating sustainable development models in four districts of Gujarat namely Sabarkantha, Mehsana, Kachchh and Patan through its Field stations.
VIKSAT believes that the goal of sustainability in natural resource development and management can be achieved only through decisive participation of the local communities aided by an enabling role of the government agencies. With this philosophy, the Mission Statement of VIKSAT was formulated as given below.
VIKSAT aims through interaction of Government and Non-Government Organisations and strengthening of People’s Institutions with active participation of men and women from all sections of the community for an equitable, gender sensitive, sustainable development and management of natural resources.
- Promote and strengthen People’s Institutions for Natural Resource Management;
- Evolve innovative participatory NRM strategies for dissemination and scaling up;
- Work towards decisive participation of the communities (especially women) and community organizations on policy forums;
- Strive for developing and enabling appropriate legal and policy frameworks;
- Facilitate information and technology access, dissemination and transfer in NRM: and,
- Networking with government agencies, NGOs and People’s Institutions and technical institutions for the above.
History of Activities (Years/sponsored by, granted by)
Name Year sponsored by, granted by Evolving Participatory Approaches to Natural Resource Management 1997 SDC-IC National Environment Awareness Campaign (NEAC). (Ministry of Environment & Forests, New Delhi) MoEF Local strategies for water supply and conservation management: an action research project in the Sabarmati river basin 1997 International Development Research Centre- IDRC ? Canada People’s Institutions in forestry ? self sustenance through capacity building 1998 HIVOS, Bangalore Initiating & supporting people’s participation in Wasteland Afforestation in Gujarat 1984 FORD Foundation, New Delhi
Type Title Price Publisher Others Proceedings of the Workshop on Building Partnerships for Ravine Development 50INR Others Rethinking the Mosaic: Investigations into local Water Management 1000INR Others Building a sustainable water Security System 30INR Others Groundwater Availability & Pollution: The Growing Debate Over Resource Condition in India 200INR Others Groundwater Law: The Growing Debate 200INR
|Name||Field of activities|
|Promoting People’s Institutions for Charting a Developmental Course||Agriculture / Community Development / Conservation / Ecology Biodiversity / Energy / Nature Awareness / Network / Public Health / Training / Waste Pollution / Water / Women Gender|
|NATIONAL ENVIRONMENT AWARENESS CAMPAIGN||Agriculture / Conservation / Ecology Biodiversity / Energy / Nature Awareness / Network / Public Health / Waste Pollution / Water / Other ( Environmental Awarenessã€Solid waste management )|
No views yet